This is not an exhaustive list of resources available for women and children escaping violence. Please contact VictimLinkBC for most up to date and comprehensive list of resources.

Updated October 31, 2018.

Support for Women and Children

VictimLinkBC (1-800-563-0808)
Multi-lingual, confidential, telephone service available 24/7 to provide information and crisis support to all victims of crime.

bc211 (2-1-1)
bc211 is a Vancouver-based nonprofit organization that specializes in providing information and referral regarding community, government, and social services in BC.

If you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide, call 1-800-784-2433 (1-800-SUICIDE), or call your local crisis centre.

BC Housing (604-433-1711)
Click here to find and contact a transition house or safe home near you.
BC Housing works in partnership with the private and non-profit sectors, provincial health authorities and ministries, other levels of government and community groups to develop a range of housing options.

Ministry of Children & Family Development (MCFD) (1-800-663-9122)
The Ministry works together with Delegated Aboriginal Agencies, Aboriginal service partners and approximately 5,400 contracted community social service agencies and foster homes, cross-government and social sector partners to deliver inclusive, culturally respectful, responsive and accessible services that support the well-being of children, youth and families. If you think a child is being abused or neglected, call MCFD. Available 24 hours a day.

Ministry of Social Development & Social Innovation (After-Hours Emergency Line: 604-660-3194)
The Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction focuses on providing British Columbians in need with a system of supports to help them achieve their social and economic potential. Provides after-hours emergency service at times of personal or family crisis related to basic necessities (food, shelter, medical transportation, and prescription drugs).

Battered Women’s Support Services (BWSS) (604-687-1868)
BWSS is a strong, dynamic organization that provides support and advocacy for women who have experienced abuse, as well as community education and training about violence against women. For more information, call their intake line at 604-687-1868.

Multicultural and Indigenous Resources

Vancouver Lower Mainland Multicultural Family Support Services (VLMFSS) (604-436-1025)
VLMFSS offers free and confidential services to immigrant, visible minority and refugee women and their families who are experiencing family violence. They offer advocacy, counselling, and support through bi-lingual, bi-cultural workers. To access their services, call 604-436-1025.

Aboriginal Mother Centre Society (604-558-2627)
The Aboriginal Mother Centre, dedicated to moving mothers and children at risk off the street, provides, under one roof, all the support, tools, and resources a mother needs to rebuild her health, self esteem and skills to regain and retain her child. The centre, grounded in a grassroots setting, creates a healing community to nurture children and families to become vital members of their communities. For more information, call 604-558-2627.

Legal Advocacy and Resources

Legal Aid (604-408-2172)
Legal Aid provides a range of free services to British Columbians including legal publications and resources, advice from duty counsel lawyers, and representation for some family law, child protection, criminal law, immigration, mental health, and prison law issues. To apply for legal aid, call 604-408-2172.

Click-Law is a website that provides legal information, education, and help for British Columbians:

Rise Women’s Legal Centre
Rise Women’s Legal Centre offers legal services in family law, wills drafting, and immigration applications for permanent residence on humanitarian and compassionate (H&C) grounds. Most of their services are delivered by full time law students from the University of British Columbia under the close supervision of staff lawyers. Services are available by appointment only. To book an appointment or for more information, call 604-451-7447.

Ask an Advocate
Ask an Advocate is a website that provides access to information on income assistance, disability programs and tenancy in British Columbia:

Community Resources

Burnaby Family Life (604-659-2205)
Since 1971, Burnaby Family Life has been offering quality community social services in Burnaby and in neighbouring communities.

Burnaby Neighbourhood House (North Burnaby 604-298-5444 or South Burnaby 604-431-0400)
Burnaby Neighbourhood House works to build a sense of community in Burnaby. Through a wide range of programs, services and events, the Burnaby Neighbourhood House brings community members together in a positive and supportive environment.

Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre Society (604-251-4844)
Since 1963, the Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre Society (VAFCS) has been meeting the needs of aboriginal people making a transition to the urban Vancouver community.

Other Transition Houses

Quick Exit
(or press ESC) More Info ?